Skip to main content

Beads on a string

So much has already been written and said about 2nd April 2011, I am sure I will have nothing new to say. But what if Shakespeare had said the same thing about love, and had chosen to write sci-fi instead? So let me just get it out there.

2nd April, 3pm, I didn't dare to hope. By 6 pm, it seemed like the wisest decision I had ever made. It felt like hoping for a miracle. But what actually happened was pure magic! It was the stuff of fairy tales, Indian ones at least. The power of 1.2 billion people's fervent praying, teary pleading and making deals with God and the devil, was no match for 11 very talented islanders.

Most of us are not even cricket-watchers, we are mere observers. We watch Ind vs Pak, well, because, its Ind vs Pak. But come world cup finals, and all other alternative occupations are wiped clean from national memory for 7 - 10 hours (depending on the result.) All roads are deserted, rickshaw drivers are sitting huddled in front of TV sets, and the nation waits with collective bated breath for the toss. We can't escape it, it's in our blood now! It's an untenable bond that unites our terribly diverse population. And losing the Cricket World Cup, with this dream ensemble, would have been a bitter nightmare. I pity an Indian who can look me squarely in the eyes and say, "I don't care". Like vegetarians, they don't know what they are missing out on.

But how far we were from losing! We didn't win, we STOLE the show! Smashing all evidence that pointed to the contrary, we scoffed at Stats and chased down a daunting total. On home ground. And clinched the deal with a magnificent 6! Numbers remain numbers, when champions step on the field. It makes me wonder, if an 'out-of-form' Dhoni can smash 91 from 79, what havoc can 'in-form' Dhoni wreak? Gambhir's 97 was better than any "century", because 100 as we proved yesterday, 100 is just another number.

Last night, the entire city was out on the streets. The flag was flying high; I mean literally high, off rooftops and bus tops. A sea of humanity descended on FC road: Shivaji was seen shaking a leg with a cop on duty. The fire brigade was out for a victory lap and a PMT bus was plying at 2 am. Of course, most of its passengers had taken seats on the rooftop, but that is a mere technicality. Every face had the Tiranga painted on it, and everyone sported blue. [Pepsi's BLEED BLUE campaign will go down in history as one of the most successful ever. I dare say their 'Helicopter shot' and 'Upar Cut' ads are as popular as zoozoos.] In this madness its only fitting that we were caught in a huge jam- cars and bikes were impatiently honking- honking "INDIA INDIA"!! Itty bitty and very sleepy babies were brought to soak up the atmosphere, while their grandparents decided relive their 20s with a last dance, right on the streets.

Like everyone else, every memory associated with CWC 2011 will stay etched in my mind for a long, long time. Be it incessant Sreesanth bashing, Yuvraj gushing, ridiculing Gambhir's run-out rhapsody, maligning Malinga's hairstyle, despairing over Ashwin being benched or in-depth discussions by self-proclaimed experts of previously untouched topics like bowling actions and methods of calculating statistics. We all experienced just about every damn emotion in the book. Personally, I coped by eating. And hotel take-away and kirana dukaan receipts console me, because I know I was not alone. Light- headed after an incredible day, I went to bed at 3 am knowing that I am a bead on a string of 1.2 billion, a string that is flying a kite so so high in the sky!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Dam - Part II

The easiest way to describe what’s underneath the calm watery surface of this dam is to list all the little rivulets of emotions flowing in from various directions. At the very top of the emotional pyramid, is complete peace and contentment. I have everything I need to be comfortable right now, the most important being time and energy. Many of my days consist primarily of working out, napping, cooking, seeing friends and reading. I can feel my burn out healing, I will soon be ready to tackle this next chapter, which is sure to be challenging. While there is a small part of me that is impatient, nay, eager to start, I am enjoying every moment of this hiatus. Below the surface though, saying goodbyes is heart-wrenching and every new memory created comes with a tinge of longing and nostalgia. Whether it is seeing off my closest friend at the train station, or playing with my friends’ babies, each simple act now comes with so many emotions. It’s the river of “the lasts”. Over the pas

The last one

  This is the last one, and then I’ll stop. I’m not really addicted, its just good for me right now. Its what I need right now. I can stop whenever I want. One more event, that’s what we tell ourselves. Always the last event, before settling down into a respectable, predictable life. At my very first job at the CWG Delhi 2010, I envied my Greek boss. He was in Delhi for 3-4 years, to make sure that the contingency relations and services department was running according to industry standard. I thought of his wife and 2 kids, and imagined it must be exciting to live in a new city like Delhi, and move to a new place every 4 years, to have a truly international upbringing. To be honest, I still do. I envy the travelling circus. But as a 33-year-old woman, I hesitate to jump headlong into a life of semi-permanency. I ask myself whether I really have what it takes. I question whether my relationships will withstand the periodic disappearances that coincide with every operations mode.

The Dam – Part I

  In March 2023 I had the privilege to make a decision to change my life. After job hunting for months, I landed 2 vastly different roles in 2 different countries. I coincidentally, seemingly fatefully, received the job offers on the same day. It was a decision I wasn’t about to take lightly, and even though I knew in my gut what I wanted, it took some negotiating, researching and convincing to make it. In 2014, when I boarded a Lufthansa flight to Frankfurt, I had more faith in humanity and optimism bordering on naivete. I was younger and more foolish than I am now. I was hungry to learn and grow professionally. In 2023, I turn back a little wiser, a little more beaten by life, still hungry to learn and grow. Someone asked me why I decided to leave after having fought so hard to be here. “Because I don’t want to fight so hard anymore”, I answered instantly, the words coming from somewhere deep in my soul before my mind had a chance to think about it. Being a foreigner and woman of c