Skip to main content

Incomplete


Everyone knows that change is hard. People piously talk about how change is the only constant. Most refer to change in the external environment. But what happens when the external world is excruciatingly unchanging, while only your internal world is changing, evolving, expanding, imploding?

Life is still technicolour, its just on slow-motion. That will make any picture seem duller. It’s the flashing lights that make the most lurid images, the ones that flash by just fast enough to evoke a thought or an emotion, before it disappears.

When everything is slower, every step takes longer, all the flaws are exposed. The novelty wears off and even the most sophisticated sonatas will seem mundane. When Covid started, it was a pleasure to slow down, to take a breath, to have time to do nothing. Nearly 2 years on, its hard either way – going back to pre-Covid pace of life seems beyond exhausting, but continuing in the middle lane is boring and somehow still more exhausting.

I used to have 3 weeks a year at “home-home”. Every day, every meal and most interactions with friends and family were vivid and full of detail. The luxury of being here for longer now though doesn’t automatically translate to more of these interactions. I struggle with feeling neglected, like people around me aren’t excited enough that I am here. Is it because I am here for longer, thus time together is easily taken for granted? It could be just that everyone is drained from Covid fatigue. Stepping outside the safe bubble is both exhilarating and deeply stressful. While the numbers in western Europe soar, all naïve daydreams of vaccines ending the pandemic have been shattered. Will we ever be able to join the pieces of our broken lives together?

Previously I used to focus on how much everyone has changed when I came back. I would worriedly look at my parents walk, unconscious movements and conscious complaints and gauge how their physical and mental health has been faring in the 6 months since I’d last seen them. This year I find myself wondering whether my home here was always this loud? Or is it the new constructions around? But what about those annoying neighbours that wake me up with their morning prayer rituals? And those birds seem to have gotten so much louder, cackling every morning on my windowsill. And the heat?! After vehemently scolding anyone who so much as hinted that “India is so hot and humid”, lecturing them about how dry Pune is and how perfect mid-20 degrees Pune weather is in winter, here I am sweating in the top-floor bedroom in 32 degrees and 85% humidity, because I pragmatically told my parents to not install an AC in my room “because I am never there in summer”. Screw global warming!

Things here are the same, but still very different. Slower, but not in the way that I want. After another long and sometimes lonely year, I looked forward to some more action and togetherness. A togetherness that is taken for granted by my family, that was “stuck” together for another difficult year and lockdown. The space they value as they take refuge in their phones and rooms, is the very space that I want to close.  A family vacation that went awry only increased that distance.  A flood divided my partner and me for several months, now it is administrative issues that’s keeping us apart and holding us back. A part of me is always missing, it's always waiting, divided by a continent and an ocean. Until now this feeling was “limited” to friends, which was bad enough. Respite came once a year, but now, it’s been over 3 years since. And now, it’s also with family. The incompleteness, the part that’s missing, that's waiting to be reunited. This time it’s a change in me, that’s overwhelming me.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Dam - Part II

The easiest way to describe what’s underneath the calm watery surface of this dam is to list all the little rivulets of emotions flowing in from various directions. At the very top of the emotional pyramid, is complete peace and contentment. I have everything I need to be comfortable right now, the most important being time and energy. Many of my days consist primarily of working out, napping, cooking, seeing friends and reading. I can feel my burn out healing, I will soon be ready to tackle this next chapter, which is sure to be challenging. While there is a small part of me that is impatient, nay, eager to start, I am enjoying every moment of this hiatus. Below the surface though, saying goodbyes is heart-wrenching and every new memory created comes with a tinge of longing and nostalgia. Whether it is seeing off my closest friend at the train station, or playing with my friends’ babies, each simple act now comes with so many emotions. It’s the river of “the lasts”. Over the pas

The Dam – Part I

  In March 2023 I had the privilege to make a decision to change my life. After job hunting for months, I landed 2 vastly different roles in 2 different countries. I coincidentally, seemingly fatefully, received the job offers on the same day. It was a decision I wasn’t about to take lightly, and even though I knew in my gut what I wanted, it took some negotiating, researching and convincing to make it. In 2014, when I boarded a Lufthansa flight to Frankfurt, I had more faith in humanity and optimism bordering on naivete. I was younger and more foolish than I am now. I was hungry to learn and grow professionally. In 2023, I turn back a little wiser, a little more beaten by life, still hungry to learn and grow. Someone asked me why I decided to leave after having fought so hard to be here. “Because I don’t want to fight so hard anymore”, I answered instantly, the words coming from somewhere deep in my soul before my mind had a chance to think about it. Being a foreigner and woman of c

The last one

  This is the last one, and then I’ll stop. I’m not really addicted, its just good for me right now. Its what I need right now. I can stop whenever I want. One more event, that’s what we tell ourselves. Always the last event, before settling down into a respectable, predictable life. At my very first job at the CWG Delhi 2010, I envied my Greek boss. He was in Delhi for 3-4 years, to make sure that the contingency relations and services department was running according to industry standard. I thought of his wife and 2 kids, and imagined it must be exciting to live in a new city like Delhi, and move to a new place every 4 years, to have a truly international upbringing. To be honest, I still do. I envy the travelling circus. But as a 33-year-old woman, I hesitate to jump headlong into a life of semi-permanency. I ask myself whether I really have what it takes. I question whether my relationships will withstand the periodic disappearances that coincide with every operations mode.