Skip to main content

Rays of sunshine

 

3 months into an unexpectedly long stay at home, but now I am a few weeks away from having to go back to “real life” (and therefore thoroughly pressuring myself to write a summarizing blogpost about it). All of my previous “visits to home” have been 3-4 weeks of whirlwind madness, trying to cram in maximum quality time, favourite meals and relaxation into the holiday. The time available of course was limited by the yearlong leave I saved to be home with family and childhood friends. I’d land and run immediately to friends’ weddings, and usually get sick soon after. Whether from exhaustion or weather change, I never quite knew why – but it would knock me off my feet for a few days. I would console myself that atleast I was sick at home, and let myself be pampered. Not having to lift a finger while under a fever, with hot soup and fruit bowls being brought to you does soften the blow of a flu. I would bounce back after a week, and rush around meeting friends, family, shopping, eating and being entertained. I didn’t have a minute to myself, and I loved it.

This visit has been pretty distinctive. The first couple of weeks were similar to the years past, with travel plans and my brother’s wedding to attend. Its only post-wedding, with the house full again and everyone back in their routines, did the initial “teething pain” of settling back into living here, in India, with my family, crop up. My motivation to make every moment count was still high, but it clashed with my anxious energy to make a new work from home situation well, work. With an uncharacteristic inertia to adapt, my routine seemed out of sync with the pace of the household, as evidenced by my last, slightly angsty blogpost.

Adjusting back to life in India never struck me as a bit stressful, until I thought about it this visit. I don’t mean this in a pratty “I’m a foreign-return with a fake accent and need Bisleri water” kind of way. I’m referring more to the subtle differences that simply exist between any 2 countries, 2 homes, and different living situations. For instance, in Pune, the neighbouring housing society excels in their power to plague and annoy me. From the noisy kids playing downstairs at all hours of the evening, the wannabe DJ right opposite who practices his “art” in the afternoons with his balcony doors wide open, to the very Godly old man who likes to pray at the top of his lungs while clapping manically every morning, the sounds of life are varied and loud. Compared to Bonn, a town which goes to sleep at 9pm and seems to stay asleep most days, this jarring juxtaposition was quite disruptive to my sleep.

If the sounds from outside the house weren’t enough, within the house too, I went from living alone to being in a home inhibited by 4 more people. At any given time, atleast 1 is on the phone, every hour or 2 the doorbell rings, house help and workers doing unfortunately timed repairs come and go. The layout of the house also magnifies the chaos, in that it magnifies sounds to my workspace. My only option to escape this would be to retreat with my work table into my bedroom, but then I would be back to spending all day in a quiet room alone, something which I was keen to escape after a long year.

Some of the worst parts of public life in India can be that places can be dirty, smelly and/or crowded. Sitting home Dunzoing deliveries, Zomatoing great food and Mytraing clothes is an excellent way to forget that. Pollution can be a big problem in most cities, but living in a high-rise takes you a few feet higher than the coughing masses. As dad's phone-voice got quieter, I got better at blocking out noisy disturbances. I slowly found my place in a bigger and fuller family. 

Most of my friends haven’t been here this year, which means nearly all of my time has been spent either working or being with family. I know that is inconceivable to some. But I must admit that after over 7 years away, 2 of which made even more difficult by Covid, it has been the balm that my soul needed. Whether a movie evening, playing Scrabble or Catan together, going for an evening walk with dad, creating new recipes or crafts with mum, or discussing housing society politics, I am lucky to be able to have fun with my family on most days.  

Our 2-week spell in Delhi was exhausting, cold and dreary, with wave 3 looming; but we managed to make the best of this. We were there on work; and though I didn’t get to do any of my favourite Delhi things (aside from visiting my favourite park); in spite of being stressed and stuck in a tiny home for the whole stay, we managed to make some great memories. If that wasn’t enough, I can be grateful that I was able to support my parents for a couple of weeks. One of the hardest facts of expat life is not being able to physically support your loved ones, and Delhi gave me a small opportunity to do this.

My 3-month stint of living back home has left me hard-pressed to think of things I really miss from my life in Germany, aside from my dearest friends, of course. Gone are the days when “abroad” was held in high esteem, with eyes greedy for foreign currency and tongues drooling for fancy chocolates and exotic flavours. The India of now has nearly everything abroad does, the economy is growing fast, making it easier for the hardworking to climb the ladder. The pandemic has made many activities difficult anyway, but I notice a positive increase in the range of hobbies and entertainment on offer. Growing up, the only way to entertain ourselves without great planning and cost was food and Bollywood. Now I see more sport offerings, camping, adventure and outdoor activities, arts and crafts. These seem to be more accessible than in Germany, taking lower initial monetary investments and time commitments. Once a big fan of sport culture in Germany, now I differentiate between facilities and accessibility. While sport fields are galore, it takes a steady membership and prolonged time commitment to take advantage of these. Pay-to-play is rare, and that makes it quite difficult for casual players and working professionals who travel or are living outside the radius of their hometowns to participate. For example, it boggles my mind that I have never been kayaking on the Rhine, which I live at a distance of 1 km from. To do this, I need to join a club with a yearly membership. Same goes for golf, horse-riding and many more. Even the gym membership ended with a fiasco where they try everything to not release you from an expired annual contract. Here, at a family friend’s place, I bumped into a guy. He invited me to come play ultimate frisbee with his club. He even gave me a lift to the ground and back. The club is so inclusive, that nearby slum kids randomly joined us in the game. I pretty much sucked as much as any first-timer would, but I was invited back to play in a tournament on the weekend. I thankfully saved myself and my team embarrassment by being unavailable that day.  

The only positive side of the pandemic is a prolonged work from home understanding. The comforts of any parental home are plentiful, but the comforts of present-day middle-class home in India are supreme. With a full house, house help and affordable delivery services, chores can be outsourced and comfort can be purchased. It’s given me the headspace to focus on the things that are truly important to me, i.e., family, work, hustle, reading and fitness, and I will be truly honest - extra time to binge Netflix. I go downstairs for a walk and see grandparents and grandchildren out in the lawn together. I see through rose-coloured glasses a life I could have. Easy, comfortable, sunny and warm.  

As I head back however, I am determined to make changes to my life in Germany. While the gloomy weather isn’t going anywhere, building a life that you love takes effort, in every country. Granted, in some places more and some less. Surrounding yourself with positive people is easier said than done abroad, because you have to start at scratch find those people. You have to look harder to spot a ray of sunshine. All we can do in the meantime then, is make the best of the life we currently lead, while working towards an even brighter tomorrow. My time-out from German life has let me gather the energy to do that.

But before that, an angsty countdown begins - for the last 2 weeks of sunshine-filled, chore-less family time! 😉

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Dam - Part II

The easiest way to describe what’s underneath the calm watery surface of this dam is to list all the little rivulets of emotions flowing in from various directions. At the very top of the emotional pyramid, is complete peace and contentment. I have everything I need to be comfortable right now, the most important being time and energy. Many of my days consist primarily of working out, napping, cooking, seeing friends and reading. I can feel my burn out healing, I will soon be ready to tackle this next chapter, which is sure to be challenging. While there is a small part of me that is impatient, nay, eager to start, I am enjoying every moment of this hiatus. Below the surface though, saying goodbyes is heart-wrenching and every new memory created comes with a tinge of longing and nostalgia. Whether it is seeing off my closest friend at the train station, or playing with my friends’ babies, each simple act now comes with so many emotions. It’s the river of “the lasts”. Over the pas

The last one

  This is the last one, and then I’ll stop. I’m not really addicted, its just good for me right now. Its what I need right now. I can stop whenever I want. One more event, that’s what we tell ourselves. Always the last event, before settling down into a respectable, predictable life. At my very first job at the CWG Delhi 2010, I envied my Greek boss. He was in Delhi for 3-4 years, to make sure that the contingency relations and services department was running according to industry standard. I thought of his wife and 2 kids, and imagined it must be exciting to live in a new city like Delhi, and move to a new place every 4 years, to have a truly international upbringing. To be honest, I still do. I envy the travelling circus. But as a 33-year-old woman, I hesitate to jump headlong into a life of semi-permanency. I ask myself whether I really have what it takes. I question whether my relationships will withstand the periodic disappearances that coincide with every operations mode.

The Dam – Part I

  In March 2023 I had the privilege to make a decision to change my life. After job hunting for months, I landed 2 vastly different roles in 2 different countries. I coincidentally, seemingly fatefully, received the job offers on the same day. It was a decision I wasn’t about to take lightly, and even though I knew in my gut what I wanted, it took some negotiating, researching and convincing to make it. In 2014, when I boarded a Lufthansa flight to Frankfurt, I had more faith in humanity and optimism bordering on naivete. I was younger and more foolish than I am now. I was hungry to learn and grow professionally. In 2023, I turn back a little wiser, a little more beaten by life, still hungry to learn and grow. Someone asked me why I decided to leave after having fought so hard to be here. “Because I don’t want to fight so hard anymore”, I answered instantly, the words coming from somewhere deep in my soul before my mind had a chance to think about it. Being a foreigner and woman of c